A New Year’s Resolution for the Blues


Happy 2009. Here we are last Wednesday, creating a festive “Roaring 20’s” atmosphere for a swinging New Year’s Eve party in Palo Alto. Lots of dancing and requests for “the good old, good ones”, as Louis used to call them. Left to right, Gary Milliken, Steve Apple, Brian Richardson, Bruce Jolly, me, and Andy Norblin. Thanks for the wonderful photo, Adrienne. I’m glad someone brought a real camera.

Last week I announced my four New Year’s resolutions, based on “something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue”. I’ve already described the first one, “something old”, and today I’ll describe my “something blue” resolution.

OK, look who’s crying the blues these days. Not Walmart, McDonald’s, and those of us who revamped and refocused our marketing. It’s everyone else, especially the mainstream media. Newspapers & magazines have lost subscriptions, TV & radio have lost markets, and all have lost advertising, big time, to their online competitors. So now watch as all of them desperately embrace the internet. For example, all new TVs will soon be able to download movie and program videos, as well as photos, “discussion boards”, and email.

Internet news services, independent newsletters, and bloggers are killing newspapers and magazines. Last week I heard a newspaperman suggest that people who value good journalism should find a way to pay for it, rather than get it all free, online. And I agree, on principle. It’s a free market, after all.

The benefits of “good” journalism, whatever you think that means, most likely come from a trained professional, wise and skilled enough to perform well and make a living at it.

Hmmmm. This explanation sounds similar to something I might tell a client. You too? I’ll bet. Well, this will be a good subject for another day.

These days, you’ll hear and read plenty -- especially from professional journalists -- decrying the general acceptance of self-publishing bloggers, who can spread wisdom just as easily as misinformation or poorly-written, one-sided stories based on narrow opinions and a few twisted facts.

I’m awed by our ever-changing world, and I want to stay up-to-date on everything newsworthy. So for my second resolution I will subscribe to one more newspaper and one more magazine, read deeply and listen widely, online and offline, and then give myself a “news-free week” every few months, just to clear the dust.

Maybe this is like giving CPR to a dinosaur, but I want to look around, see what stories and opinions I like and what I dislike, and if they’re well-thought-out and well-written, I’ll support them. Putting my money where my mouth is. Although I think “free online” can be good, even when ads have to cover the production expenses, we risk missing an important story or viewpoint that may be unable to gain a journalist’s attention in our fad-driven world.

Hey, my notices can’t always be about weddings and parties.

In my next post I’ll describe another resolution: “something borrowed”. In the meantime, I hope you’ll enjoy a wonderful New Year. I resolve to enjoy mine. I’m marketing more, and on February 8, I’ll be entertaining brides-to-be in the Bridal Extravaganza at the San Jose Fairmont. Details on my website.

By the way, will you be celebrating a significant event soon? Throw a party and include us. Today I'm talking with people planning parties for Valentine's Day and Easter. If you'll have a party on one of these days, or on any day in between, now's a good time to plan the details, including the music. Have a question? We'll have the answer.

Call us at 408-245-9120. You'll love what we do. We're easy to work with, so let our experience help your celebration. Please visit MagnoliaJazz.com for details, and I hope to see you soon.

Please leave me a comment. What do you think about all this? I'd love your opinions and comments.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Robbie this post hits home. I love reading the news and I too lament the loss of the larger publications, especially news papers... But like you I'm all for balancing the old with new and reading both novice editorials and the work of the trained professionals. I think there's an equal value to both assuming the novice is writing truthfully.

    What I don't understand is why can't these media markets evolve fast enough to not lose readership? It's not like they don't know where some of their readers are going now. So why not upgrade their online presence and quality of content online? Why wouldn't the same people who advertised with them in print not advertise online if the were able to transition their original ink on paper audience to their website? That's been puzzling me for a few years now. Their production costs should be lower going online so it would make sense that advertising rates could reflect this.... But if their overhead has come down why can't they remain profitable online?

    Do all of their columnists have a Facebook page? Are they tweeting their editorials on Twitter? I guess all I'm saying is that as long as they have a website I can go to and if they're willing to step into online social marketing it's not hard to find me online if they want to show me something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stacie,
    Thanks for your comment. I agree, it's a puzzle why all traditional media don't make at least a stab at online publishing. SOME do, and pretty well (I think), but I'm sure they're all worried about how to measure the bottom line ROI with online publishing. How do you measure something new, like online readership, and exactly how does it connect with the measures they're used to, like subscriptions or advertising sales?

    Some of the media are probably too uncertain to give it a shot, and choose instead to watch whether those that do are able to make it.

    It's the same in every business: which pioneers will succeed or die, and of the former, will their success give them an unbeatable head-start in the market?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will tell you that I had looked to advertise The Flirty Guide in print, in our local market and had to call the advertising department of a publication, that shall remain nameless, 3 times to even find out if there would be a bridal insert this year. The SF Chronicle is great. You can call and they will tell you the first time there is an insert and within minutes the pr kit for it is in your email inbox. Others, not so much.

    It's frustrating as an advertiser because I want to advertise but find it's become more difficult over the years, not easier to find the information I need to do so in some instances.

    ReplyDelete

Question or comment? Please join the conversation. I look forward to hearing from you, and I'll post every comment. Just to keep things neat, expect me to delete seriously offtopic or offensive words.