How I Help Plan the Music for a Party


Here we are last October, creating a lively mood at a benefit cocktail party for Ballet San Jose. We’re in the lounge at the elegant Corinthian Event Center, in San Jose. Left to right, Dale Mills, me, and Andy Norblin. Thanks to Chris Johnson for the photo.

Last week I announced two of my New Year’s resolutions -- “something old” and “something blue”. Here is “something borrowed”. Fourth resolution tomorrow.

I help people plan memorable parties. At least the musical aspects of wedding receptions for brides-to-be, open houses for business owners, and birthday & anniversary banquets for everyone. I’m a musician, not a professional planner, but in the past 34 years I’ve learned a thing or two about how music sets the right mood for every event.

When someone asks for planning help, I always say “What kind of atmosphere do you want? What do would you like your party to look like? sound like? What aromas would you like? How would you like your guests to feel?” And depending on what they reply, I suggest ways that the band can help create what they want.

I borrowed this practical approach to planning from my friend Allan Jaffe, who was the original founder, business manager, and musicians’ agent for Preservation Hall, in New Orleans. Jaffe loved and admired the musicians he worked with. Most of them were born between 1890-1910 -- Louis Armstrong’s generation. They loved their city and its traditions, made a living and raised their families there, and their music livened up every social occasion you can imagine.

Jaffe used to tell me these men worked hard and could do anything. Once I heard him tell the band’s trumpeter, “Percy, let’s play ‘Just A Little While to Stay Here’, and set the tempo like you’re at the end of a long parade and you’ve got to be back in five minutes.”

Hearing him use such a practical description stuck with me, so today I still speak to a bride’s senses -- her imagination’s vision, sound, smell, taste, and touch -- to help her plan the music for her wedding reception. Wouldn't such down-to-earth questions help you, too?

This practical approach has always been effective, and more would be better. So this year I resolve to continue using it, only moreso. I’ll make our conversations last just a few minutes longer and ask one more leading question than I would have asked last year.

In my next post I’ll describe another resolution: based on “something new”. In the meantime, I hope you’re enjoying a wonderful New Year. So far, I’m enjoying mine. I’m marketing more, and on February 8, I’ll be entertaining brides-to-be in the Bridal Extravaganza at the San Jose Fairmont. Details on my website.

By the way, will you be celebrating a significant event soon? Throw a party and include us. Today I'm talking with people planning parties for Valentine's Day and St Patrick’s Day. If you'll have a party on one of these days, or on any day in between, now's a good time to plan the details, including the music. Have a question? We'll have the answer.

Call us at 408-245-9120. You'll love what we do. We're easy to work with, so let our experience help your celebration. Please visit MagnoliaJazz.com for details, and I hope to see you soon.

Please leave me a comment. What do you think about all this? I'd love your opinions and comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question or comment? Please join the conversation. I look forward to hearing from you, and I'll post every comment. Just to keep things neat, expect me to delete seriously offtopic or offensive words.