Jazz, Blogs & Social Networks: “Just an Online Call Away”


Here we are last September, creating a soft mood at a benefit cocktail party for The Service League of San Mateo. We’re in the sitting room at Ralston Hall, a lovely old mansion in Belmont. Left to right, Gary Milliken, me, and Andy Norblin. Thanks to Scott (Scott Buschman Photography) for the picture.

I recently announced three of my New Year’s resolutions -- based on “something old”, “something blue”, and “something borrowed”. Here is the last, “something new”.

Look around, you’re reading my BLOG right now. This is about as new as it gets these days! Do you write one, too? My BLOG is like my own newspaper “opinion” column I create on my computer whenever I want and broadcast worldwide in an instant, to praise outstanding colleagues, promote my band, and offer random comments.

This year I resolve to get better acquainted with blogs and social networks -- Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, MySpace, Flickr -- to name a few. These are the cutting edge of how to keep in touch with our friends, colleagues, and clients.

These evolving technologies certainly aren’t for everyone, but you ignore them at your peril. They don’t replace good old face-to-face conversations or telephone calls, but they do add a new practical dimension to our communication. Today you can broadcast and receive text, pictures, videos, music, speech -- even entire multi-media presentations -- nearly everywhere in the world. And the near future promises much more, on our desktop computers, on the cellphones in our pockets, and on our TVs at home.

So for my fourth new year’s resolution, I will learn to exchange more kinds of information, more easily, to help me stay in even better touch with people and do an even better job of taking care of business more effectively. Life isn’t all about “fun and games”, I know, but they make our day-to-day lots more interesting.

In the meantime, I hope you’re enjoying a wonderful New Year. So far, I’m enjoying mine. I’m marketing more, and on February 8, I’ll be entertaining brides-to-be in the Bridal Extravaganza at the San Jose Fairmont. Details on my website.

By the way, will you be celebrating a significant event soon? Throw a party and include us. Today I'm talking with people planning parties for Valentine's Day and St Patrick’s Day. If you'll have a party on one of these days, or on any day in between, now's a good time to plan the details, including the music. Have a question? We'll have the answer.

Call us at 408-245-9120. You'll love what we do. We're easy to work with, so let our experience help your celebration. Please visit MagnoliaJazz.com for details, and I hope to see you soon.

Please leave me a comment. What do you think about all this? I'd love your opinions and comments.

1 comment:

Question or comment? Please join the conversation. I look forward to hearing from you, and I'll post every comment. Just to keep things neat, expect me to delete seriously offtopic or offensive words.