A Dizzy Dog and The Meaning of Life


Thanks for reading my blog, and I hope you enjoy thinking about my ideas. Please tell me how you like the experience.

Here we are two Sundays ago, in the lobby of the Toll House, in Los Gatos. We’re entertaining many brides-to-be attending the hotel’s “Wedding Faire”. This was a wonderful afternoon, and I met a good number of brides, as well as new event professionals. Left to right, the band is me, Gary Milliken, and Andy Norblin. Thanks to Amy Frugoli, of Twitterpated Weddings, who posted this nice photo on her blog.

This has been one of those weeks where lots of random thoughts coalesce into a simple pattern. This week it's about simple pleasures. Where to begin? I recalled hearing radio & TV medical authority, Dr Dean Edell, once comment on dogs chasing their tails, children swinging or spinning around til they got dizzy, cats eating catnip, youthful pot-smoking, and adults having a drink -- just a few familiar examples of normal animals altering their consciousness. All human cultures (maybe all animals, for that matter) seem to have a way to elevate the spirit, all pursuing a simple pleasure. We might call it “playing”, though some consequences might be dangerous.

Then a friend recently announced the 50th anniversary of the Barbie Doll. Another simple pleasure -- Barbie dolls, teddy bears, beanie babies, and “blankies”. Kids love ‘em, as though their life’s mission is to find friends and take care of them. Actually, not such a bad idea -- can this simple notion be the “Meaning of Life” after all? Could be worse.

Last Monday I bought a book written by one of my favorite podcasters, Mark Bittman, the well-known food critic, TV personality, and New York Times columnist. In the Introduction of How to Cook Everything, he explains why “simple things are best” -- they tend to taste best and be best for you, too. The book is 944 pages of “Simple Recipes for Great Food”, and I’m tasting it a few pages at a time, as a simple snack for my soul.

Finally, for years now I’ve liked the pattern of working hard and relaxing hard, and last Tuesday I had one of those relaxing days. It was a tune-up, to “re-charge my batteries”. Like a lumberjack pausing to sharpen his saw, I joined thousands of eager people attending the “Get Motivated” seminar at the HP Pavillion, in San Jose.

What an amazing day! From 8am-5pm I listened to eight world-famous champions speaking in person about what it takes to be successful. Speakers included Olympic champion Michael Phelps, economist Steve Forbes, health expert Dr Earl Mindell, former New York mayor Rudi Giuliani, former Secretary of State Gen. Colin Powell, and motivational speaker Zig Ziglar. Their topics ranged widely -- from complex issues of financial management to simple issues of treating people fairly, and each speaker gave us tons of ideas and inspiration for greater productivity and success. Currently my favorite advice of the day is Zig Zieglar’s notion that “You can have everything you want in life if you’ll just help enough other people get what they want.” How straightforward can you get? Ah, if life were always so simple! Wouldn’t we be better off? Is this really the meaning of it all?

Actually, my life IS pretty simple. I make a living leading a band that helps people have a good time. For example, will you be celebrating a significant event soon? Throw a party and include us. Are friends talking about a wedding? Please recommend us. Today I’m talking with people hosting parties for Easter Sunday and Mother’s Day. If you’ll have a soiree on one of these days, or on any day in between, now’s a good time to arrange the details, including the music.

Have a question? We’ll have the answer. Call us at 408-245-9120. You’ll love what we do. We’re easy to work with, so let our experience help your celebration.

In the meantime, please catch us at a few public events coming up. On Friday, April 3, we’ll create an elegant mood at the Computer History Museum, in Mountain View, during cocktails at a reception and art auction to benefit the Alzheimers Association. On Sunday, April 12, we’ll be entertaining during Easter brunch at The Toll House Hotel, in Los Gatos. Two days later, on Tuesday, April 14, we’ll create a lively atmosphere for the annual “S.V.C.A. Hospitality Awards” at Club Auto Sport, in San Jose. Please visit MagnoliaJazz.com for details, and I hope to see you soon.

Please tell me what you think about any of my ideas. I’ll reply to all your opinions and comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question or comment? Please join the conversation. I look forward to hearing from you, and I'll post every comment. Just to keep things neat, expect me to delete seriously offtopic or offensive words.