Curious About Parties and Weddings?



Here we are playing at last month’s Baby Boomer/Senior Citizens Expo, chatting with people as they walk by. With a wide range of songs, we entertain people of all ages, from seniors to their teen-age grandkids, at parties and weddings, but who could have guessed we’d ever see a geezer trade show? I thought our society was obsessed with “youth”. The boomers strike again!

Thanks to photographer Roberto Gonzalez, of NuevaFoto Photography, for the wonderful picture. Left to right: Gary Milliken, Andy Norblin, and me. Roberto, looks like you caught Andy by surprise. Curious about what he was thinking.

Let me tell you a personal story about curiosity. I’m continually trying to learn new things, to stay on top. Sure, this routine isn’t for everyone, but for me it’s exciting and rewarding. In fact many of my friends do the same. We read a lot, talk a lot, and constantly try new ideas, wondering what would happen if we did “this” or “that”, instead. This constant eagerness to explore something new, to enhance my old tried-and-true practices, stimulates my curiosity every minute of every day. True for you, too?

How do you satisfy your curiosity? Some of the best ways I’ve found for finding new ideas is by reading -- blogs, newspapers (editorials, opinions, comics), magazines, books -- and by listening to conversations -- with friends, on radio, podcasts, or TV (especially my favorite, Charlie Rose). Whenever I encounter a novel idea, I wonder “Interesting! Now, how could I apply that to help what I’m doing?”

This “build on the best” attitude has kept new ideas blossoming throughout human history. It certainly seems to be true for the local high tech industry, which in turn sets the style for the rest of life here in Silicon Valley.

Curiosity. If the very next words you imagine are “killed the cat”, let me suggest there’s lots more to it than that. I believe that having curiosity is a blessing, and it’s best developed by practicing. Wondering about things is a basic key to success, whatever you do. Your mind stays active, constantly acquires new ideas and possibilities, and keeps your life exciting. Do you think about curiosity this way, too?

Wondering about curiosity, I found dozens of articles online. All looked interesting, and I just read several. Most suggest that to foster your own curiosity, keep an open mind, ask questions, read and listen widely, and make learning fun.

Look around. Each of us is busy being curious about how something works or about how to do something better. What are you doing right now? Maybe just busy with a hobby, or maybe working on your full-time occupation. Maybe updating something old, or maybe creating something new. Maybe “scratching” a personal “itch”, or maybe benefiting someone else. In every case, our passion always starts with curiosity, and develops as we “follow our nose” from where we’re at, to where we’re headed.

Recently I heard Charlie Rose speaking with Bill Gates, who attributed his great success ultimately to his curiosity. Of course, he also benefitted from other intellectual qualities -- his life-long love of learning, tenacity to stay on target, and remarkable memory -- but he felt everything started with his curiosity. And this morning I heard Charlie speak with J.J. Abrams, talented director of the current “Star Trek” movie, who said he envisions his movie to be the story of a dream his main character has, after which he wakes up changed for the better. What an interesting way to think about the plot! Now I wonder, how can I benefit from that idea? Stay tuned.

Now if you’re curious, the band has been entertaining lots of people this year, and I’m always on the lookout for more opportunities. For instance, will you be celebrating a significant event soon? Throw a party and include us. Are friends talking about a wedding? Please recommend us. Today I’m talking with people hosting parties for Memorial Day and Father’s Day. If you’ll have a soiree on one of these days, or on any day in between, now’s a good time to arrange the details, including the music.

Have a question? We’ll have the answer. Call us at 408-245-9120. You’ll love what we do. We’re easy to work with, so let our experience help your next celebration.

In the meantime, please catch us at a public event coming up. On Sunday, May 10, we’ll be entertaining for “Mother’s Day Brunch” at the Toll House, in Los Gatos. Please visit MagnoliaJazz.com for details, and I hope to see you soon.

Thanks for reading my blog, and I hope you enjoy considering my ideas. Please tell me what you think, and I’ll reply to all your comments. Please take a moment to find me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter. Want to catch us in action? Visit my Facebook Page, become a fan, and you’ll receive an update for each of our public appearances.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question or comment? Please join the conversation. I look forward to hearing from you, and I'll post every comment. Just to keep things neat, expect me to delete seriously offtopic or offensive words.