The Tradition for Celebrating with Music

July 30, 2008

Here we are, relaxing at an informal dinner party last September at Parcel 104, in Santa Clara. Setting just the right tone for a casual event! Thanks to Ryan Willis for his nice photo.

Looking to jazz up your next party? Are friends planning a wedding? Please recommend us. They can preview us right now at MagnoliaJazz.com or on Thurs, July 31, and Thurs, August 14 in a wonderful “tropical” lounge — The Island Grill, in San Jose. Details on our website.

You’ve read this before? Well, in some ways I’m just an old fashioned guy, trying hard to stay up-to-date. Though our world is changing very rapidly, I believe some old traditions are worth preserving. Like the tradition of celebrating a special event with a party!

First, a story. All of us rely on some “high tech” these days. I don’t know how you did it, but for me it all started the day I botched typing a letter. By early 1984, I’d been managing the band’s business for 9 years, all with only a pencil, a calendar, carbon paper, and a typewriter. No computer, laser printer, website, or fax — just me, my telephone, my notebook, and Kinko’s down the street. Back then, “cut & paste” meant cutting and pasting, and I did plenty of that. You, too?

One lovely spring afternoon I was sitting in my yard typing a letter to a jazz festival organizer in Colorado (we performed at lots of festivals in those days). Well, the letter had to be perfect (no “white-out”, if you remember that), and I was a poor typist. After about three hours of failing to produce one flawless page, I cried “There’s GOTTA be a better way!” and went out and bought a used Apple II computer for about $400. Turns out it was one of the best decisions I ever made, and as they say, the rest is history. Suddenly with a word processor, a database, and a spreadsheet, I was working more and better, with no limit in sight.

Today I can’t imagine how I managed to take care of business without my computer, and I can say the same thing about telephone answering machines, email, and cell phones. I haven’t tried text messaging yet — maybe that’s next. Today in thousands of new devices, computers are everywhere. We’re deluged with innovations every day, so now we can matter-of-factly say, “Oh yes, I just Googled your website on my iPhone.”

New possibilities seem to be created every day, and for me the changes in our world are astonishing! Just as for my grandparents, I’m sure, who were in their twenties when the first commercial automobiles were created, and my parents, who were in their teens when "talking" movies, radio, and sound recordings became commercial.

Yet with all this new stuff going on, I still think some things shouldn’t change. I’m happy to support a fine tradition, which is that people should celebrate their good times — whether it’s a wedding, an anniversary, a new business, or just the opportunity for friends to get together. Is a significant event coming up for you? Throw a party! When you’re considering a band for your party, call me. In fact, you can even ask me to type the invitations.

We're always ready to help with your next party, whether it's a lively bash, an elegant banquet, or something in between. Swinging standards make everything memorable. Elegant & unique. Upbeat, danceable, & mellow. Today I'm talking with people planning parties for Labor Day and Halloween. If you'll have a party on one of these days, or on any day in between, now's a good time to plan the details, including the music.

Call us at 408-245-9120. You'll love what we do. We're veteran party-goers, easy to work with, and we know what it'll take to make your party a success. We've entertained people since 1975, so let our experience help your next celebration.

We play at private parties nearly every day, and you can preview us at one of our public events. Visit Magnoliajazz.com for details on these events and more.

Thur, July 31, 9:30pm-12:30am
Thur, Aug 14, 9:30pm-12:30am
The Island Grill
Clarion Airport Hotel,
1355 N 4th St, San Jose

Sat, Aug 16, 12-4pm
Portraits by Rebecca
17265 Monterey Rd, Morgan Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment

Question or comment? Please join the conversation. I look forward to hearing from you, and I'll post every comment. Just to keep things neat, expect me to delete seriously offtopic or offensive words.